I had some precious alone time with my boy today. He was wide awake and I felt like I had some good interaction with him even as limited a newborn's interaction is. He seems to really respond to my voice which is great for me since I don't get the same bonding experience as Adrienne does when she nurses him. I'm going to start bringing some books to the hospital to read to him. If any of you out there are looking for a gift idea for Caleb, books are a good choice as we don't have many, especially the cardboard books for kids under 1yr so he doesn't rip and tear the paper books.
He gained more weight again today, a whole ounce even. He's now topping the scales at 3lb 15.3oz. We're hoping that he'll have a congratulatory 4lb sign on his door when we arrive.
I'm not sure if I mentioned previously, but Adrienne has been working with a lactation specialist (interesting job, huh?) to begin introducing him to breastfeeding. Adrienne reported that today he made a good latch and was actually sucking and getting some milk. He did this for about a half an hour until his belly was full as he was also getting fed through his tube at the same time. Needless to say he ate a ton yesterday, so we're hoping that it is reflected on the scale tomorrow to bump him over the 4lb mark.
I sent some pictures around work yesterday and there was an overwhelming response of how cute and precious he is. There are a bunch of 40 and 50-something moms whose kids are all grown and they gush over his pictures reminiscing about their experiences with young children. One common thread to all of their stories is to cherish these infant moments as they seem to fly by in an instant. I will do my best to follow their advice.
This is a whole new experience for both Adrienne and I. I never knew my capacity of love until I met Caleb, even from day 1. I thought that had experienced love to the fullest when I married Adrienne, but there's just something about a parent/child connection that fills a void in the heart that I never knew existed until Caleb was born. Even now it makes me tear up with emotion just thinking about him.
Ok, enough of the sappy stuff. I'll try to take some pictures when I see him tomorrow. His face and body seem to be filling out a little bit more as he gains some weight. I'll try to capture that and attach it to the next posting.
Ryan
Thursday, December 6, 2007
Caleb Update: 12/5/07
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Oh Ry.
You know what is really cool about this blog, it will be so awesome for Caleb to read this when he is older! Being a mom or dad is such a wonderful privelege, even though it's the hardest job ever. It's amazing how much you find you can love your little one. I am so happy that you are enjoying your new role as daddy and your new son.
We love you!!!
Post a Comment